Cas Padri, Can Picafort Mallorca - Mejillones a la Mariner...


Good day my lovely readers, its been awhile I know but this summer has been crazy busy so far but I promise I will blog and share recipes when ever I can! (Especially now that I have a new lens for my camera!! YAY!!)

And just as you thought my Spanish posts were over! Here's another! Today's however is a little different as its more of a restaurant review and recipe for you all. Wanted to change it up a bit instead of just boasting about the fabulousness of my Spanish adventure ;)


Cas Padri is a lovely family run restaurant along the promenade in Can Picafort. It's a real feast for the senses with amazing decor, a sea view with smells and flavours that lets you know you are in Spain.


Before you even sit down for a meal you cant help but wonder round the restaurant looking at all that is on display. Old fishing nets, instruments, bones and gorgeous old black and white family photo's cover the walls while animal skins add a comfy touch to beautiful stone tables and benches.

The open fire oven fills the place with the most amazing smokey smell and gently heats the room perfectly for when it starts to get a bit chilly from the ocean breeze in the evening. But even then they provide blankets which is perfect for when the live music starts and you want to sit outside. ( top marks for being purple blankets too he he ) The atmosphere is lovely as is the staff and that is reflected in there 4 star rating on Tripadvisor.


They have a large menu that offers everything from freshly made pizza to tapas, I however had their mussels or Mejillones a la Mariner.  I saw them on another table and just had to try them for myself, they looked and smelled amazing! And I wasn't disappointed!

For 13Euros i got the most enormous portion of fresh mussels in the most AMAZING tomato sauce, Seriously when the mussels were finished I literally drank it like soup!  Just yum!!

And after saying all this and teasing your taste buds I couldn't not share a recipe.

Ingredients

good portion of mussels, cleaned and steamed.
Spanish Sofrito - Garlic, tomato and onion cooked down.
Bay leaves
salt and pepper

Method

Spanish Sofrito 
1. in a blender add 2 large onions finely diced, 5 large tomatoes, deseeded, skinned and finely diced, lots of minced garlic, good glug of olive oil, 1 tsp of sugar and salt and blend.
2. Once  blended add to a large pan and cook down slowly with a few bay leaves. Keep stiring. You want it to thicken.

Mussels
1. Steam until open in a little water, wine, garlic and lemon.

 Mejillones a la Mariner
1. In a new pan add your Sofrito, as much or as little as you want.
2. Add a little of the mussel cooking liquor to loosen it up  and then toss in your mussels. Leave for a few minutes making sure the mussels are coated in all the tomatoey goodness.
3.Serve hot with some crusty bread and a good glass of Spanish wine.

Gosh I feel like having this right now! And if you dont like mussels... this will convert you!

Can be served as a tapas dish .

No comments:

Post a Comment